Search This Blog

Monday, March 11, 2013

Getting my little witchling ready for Kindergarten

This is my four-year-old daughter, Hope. Next week I have to register her for Kindergarten. I've been both looking forward to and dreading this moment since the day she was born. All of the areas that I've screwed up in are about to be highlighted when she's in the environment of other children and adults who are would-be strangers. She'll undoubtably utter the occasional bad word, pick her nose or fart in front of the teacher at least once, and I'll get several parent-teacher conference calls asking me to control her level of sarcasm. Not to mention, she takes great pride in telling literally anyone who will listen that her mom is a witch and she plans to grow up to be one as well. Thankfully, we've met and become friends with another Pagan mom & same age daughter duo who live right around the corner from us. So even in this tiny and highly Christian town, Hope won't be the only witchling to be in her class - let alone her school. She and her little buddy ought to provoke more than a few eyebrow raises with the tales they're sure to tell about their mothers practicing spellcraft, doing tarot readings, and at least in Hope's case - talking to the dead. She won't even start attending school until the fall and I'm already feeling the pressure of more than likely becoming the "weirdo" parent that the members of the PTA can't stop talking about. I don't have any choice in the matter. I'm very public about who I am and what I believe, and since I opened the metaphysical webstore, it's not like I could change my mind and try to hide from the public at this point. Not that I'd want to... I'm just making a point. I really hope that by continuing to be open and honest about my faith, it will encourage the other kids and parents to ask questions and get educated, while also helping them learn that even though my religion doesn't reflect what they're used to, I am a pretty "normal" person. I'm a wife, and a mom - I work a regular job as well as running my own business. I have a borderline unhealthy addiction to Pinterest and Facebook. (If you ask my husband, he'll tell you I've crossed that border to the dark side, there's no question is HIS mind.) I watch tv and cook and clean and do laundry and grocery shop, just like everybody else. I will not put up a fight or suggest that the word "God" be taken out of the flag salute, or that "Christmas break" or "Easter vacation" be refered to as something less Christian such as Winter & Spring breaks. In all honesty, none of that bothers me and I have no desire to try to change it. Of course I believe in religious equality and expect the school and faculty to accept that we do not practice those exact holidays in our household in the same ways they're used to. In a perfect world, I would love for the school to invite my friend and I to talk about the way WE do things, as an educational assembly for the kids. I remember when I was in Kindergarten, many years ago, one of the girls in my class was a Native American Pagan, and her family was invited to the class to teach us all a rain dance and educate the students and faculty about the beliefs of their tribe. But today we do not live in a perfect world, so I'll settle for social acceptance without judgement. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment